WE'RE HIRING: Coordinator, Communications
As greater Portland’s chamber of commerce, the Portland Business Alliance promotes and fosters an environment in the Portland region that attracts, supports, and retains private-sector jobs, spurs economic vitality, and enables quality educational opportunities for the region’s residents. The Alliance is the leading voice of business for the Portland metro region.
As a member of the Portland Business Alliance’s Communications Team, the Communications Coordinator plays an integral role in supporting internal communications and marketing activities by drafting messaging, talking points, newsletters, social media and website content, and by gathering and monitoring data analytics to help inform the team’s strategic plan. Reporting to the Director of Strategic Communications, the Communications Coordinator also helps to strengthen the Alliance’s brand and expands reach and visibility of the Alliance’s members, staff, partners, and other key stakeholders.
The Communications Coordinator lends tactical support on a variety of activities and helps to execute a communications and engagement strategy with visionary direction from the Senior Director of Strategic Communications, and with inputs from Directors across the Alliance. The Communications Coordinator is primarily responsible for supporting the work of the Alliance with writing, copyediting, fact-checking, and helping to manage and/or provide support for multiple social media platforms and websites. This position assumes a writing-intensive role and possesses excellent writing and editing skills. Operating in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, the successful candidate is adept at maneuvering through complex assignments, is flexible, is comfortable with working with individuals at all levels across the agency (including its members), and is capable of translating ideas and messages into relatable and compelling communications.
The Communications Department is a collaborative and team-oriented environment that works to provide outstanding service to the Alliance’s 2,000+ members. The team provides communication support throughout the organization, including its affiliated member agencies: Partners in Diversity and Downtown Portland Clean & Safe. Our goal is to provide effective, strategic communications guidance and create engaging and timely information about the Alliance’s members, events, activities, experiences, impacts, and services.
- In partnership with the Communications team, manage and curate content for the Alliance’s social media channels and website, working in close partnership with departments across the organization to ensure a good balance of content, story-telling, and calls-to-action.
- Assist the Senior Director of Strategic Communications in drafting content for use in member and stakeholder emails, newsletters, press releases, advocacy alerts, social media posts, website content, events, and more.
- Maintain a 1-Month look-ahead social media calendar, and regularly partner with teams across the agency to ensure equitable sharing out of relevant content.
- Regularly engage and collaborate with departments across the Alliance to understand their communications support needs, gather relevant content, confirm facts and data, and help with project details and timelines.
- Regularly review and/or copy edit materials, including: newsletters, advocacy briefs, member emails, social media posts, blogs, website content, etc.
- Draft and assemble engaging content for use in various newsletters, websites, social media platforms, communications committee meetings, and leadership meetings.
- Coordinate email marketing campaigns for target audiences and, in partnership with other Alliance departments, maintain an up-to-date stakeholder contact database.
- Compile and provide engagement data to the Senior Director of Strategic Communications, then use that data to draft quarterly analytics reports to other departments and Board leadership, to inform on member and stakeholder engagement and activity.
- Maintain and update content across the Alliance’s website and social media platforms when new information becomes available or when information is no longer relevant.
- In partnership with the Communications Team, create presentations and assemble materials for meetings, including senior leadership meetings, committee meetings, or Board meetings.
- Complete assigned tasks in team project management system by scheduled due dates.
- Other duties and projects, as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience in public or media relations, marketing, communications or journalism.
- Skilled communicator with a good understanding of corporate communications and external news media.
- Proven ability to execute comprehensive communications plans and programs to address key issues and opportunities.
- Experience with web-based technology platforms for communication and presentation purposes.
- Experience with graphic design: Canva, Adobe Creative Cloud, specifically Spark, Illustrator, and Photoshop is a plus.
- Strong computer skills, especially in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Digital analytics skills preferred (Google analytics, SEO, social media metrics, email distribution & production).
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Minimum of three years of experience and demonstrated success in communications, marketing or other related areas. Bachelor’s degree a plus.
- A self-starter with the ability to multi-task and handle a wide variety of tasks from a wide variety of people while maintaining a courteous and professional manner.
- Excellent attention to customer service – both internally and externally.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Media relations execution with demonstrated news coverage placements.
- Ability to understand, interpret and write about complex topics.
- Ability to complete multiple tasks and high volume of work on deadline.
- Ability to follow through on assigned tasks with limited supervision.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Respectfully takes direction from supervisor.
WORKING CONDITIONSThe physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- The employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 20 pounds. Occasionally that requirement may be higher.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate and, at all times, is within safe OSHA decibel constraints.
Salary range: $40,000 - $50,000
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Portland Business Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.