WE'RE HIRING: Senior Director, Strategic Communications
The Portland Business Alliance is seeking a collaborative and engaging communications professional who is committed to supporting the greater community.
As greater Portland’s chamber of commerce, the Portland Business Alliance promotes and fosters an environment in the Portland region that attracts, supports, and retains private-sector jobs, spurs economic vitality, and enables quality educational opportunities for the region’s residents. The Alliance is the leading voice of business for the Portland metro region.
SUMMARYThe Senior Director, Strategic Communications is responsible for directing and managing the creation and implementation of a strategic, multi-faceted communications plan designed to build and strengthen the Alliance’s role and reputation as a leader and voice for business in the Portland metro region.
The Senior Director will oversee collateral, digital properties and any media buys through the Alliance’s trade agreements for the Alliance and Downtown Portland Clean and Safe in a manner consistent with the Strategic Plan and a focused commitment on equity as a core value.
This position will work with the Vice President, Government Affairs and President & CEO, to manage a public relations firm to coordinate and develop relationships with key media and concentrate on relations that are prioritized, focused, proactive, integrated, and consistent.
The Alliance is a membership-based organization and as such, all staff supports the work of the membership and events department by enrolling and retaining businesses. Additionally, the Senior Director will work to make our membership and events inclusive through updating collateral, deploying technology and strategy that invites participants to engage in a way that meets their needs. The Senior Director will actively engage in soliciting support for signature events, assist in recruiting new members and retaining existing ones, with a particular focus on board and higher-level members.
The Senior Director is a member of the Senior Leadership Team and participates in the general administration of the organization. As a member of the team, the Vice President will work collaboratively with peers to effectuate the mission of the organization. Duties assigned by the President and CEO are a core function of the position.
- Develop, implement and manage all communication plans and practices that promote awareness, engagement, and support for Portland Business Alliance, Downtown Portland Clean & Safe, Charitable Institute, and affiliate partners and programs.
- Ability to work on multiple projects with competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Provide quality control for communications.
- Expand Alliance's presence through the integrated use of its website, social media channels, electronic newsletters, emails, and other outlets.
- Direct Value of Jobs campaign and other public affairs communications campaigns that drive advocacy action and improve the business community’s reputation.
- Review and evaluate the effectiveness of communications efforts through metric analysis; incorporate findings to improve subsequent activities.
- Effectively communicate and interact with Alliance board members and member companies regarding Alliance communication efforts with the ability to partner on and/or promote business needs of the region.
- Develop messaging and communications that are tailored to the audience and written in a simple to understand, relatable, and authentic way.
- Create and maintain internal communication standards and processes between departments to streamline workflow.
- Manage and help chair facilitate monthly Alliance Marketing and Communications Committee.
- Manage advertising strategy and develop messaging to market Alliance, Clean & Safe, and other related entities as appropriate.
- Advise management and staff on both internal and external communication issues.
- Develop event scripts, speeches, talking points, and other presentations for CEO and board leadership. Develop creative brief and project manage videos for Alliance signature events.
- Serve as a mentor to help with the development of professional skills and internal processes for the communications team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Skilled communicator with a strong understanding of corporate communications, social media strategies, and innovative communication tools.
- Knowledge of inclusive communication techniques and strategies
- Proven ability to develop and implement comprehensive corporate communications plans, and programs to address key issues and opportunities.
- Ability to understand, interpret and write about complex political topics.
- Experience developing communication programs for business is preferred.
- Ability to complete multiple tasks and high volume of work on deadline with excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Experience with web-based technology and audio/visual technology for communication purposes and strong computer skills including word processing, presentations, and social media is required.
- Ability to keep up with advancing technologies to enhance the Alliance’s communication reach and impact, and willingness to think outside-the-box to test new strategies is strongly desired.
- Supervise the communications and marketing team including communications specialist, marketing & communications coordinator, and graphic designer.
- Manage occasional contract employees or interns as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in public or media relations, communications, marketing or journalism, or related field.
- Five or more years of communications, marketing, or branding experience.
- Management of staff, and the ability to lead a team.
- A well-organized self-starter with the ability to multi-task and handle a wide variety of tasks and requests while maintaining a courteous and professional manner.
- Excellent customer satisfaction; focused and responsive to clients.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to understand, interpret and write about complex topics.
- Ability to complete multiple tasks and high volume of work on deadline.
- Ability to follow through on assigned tasks with limited supervision.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
WORKING CONDITIONSThe physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- The employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 20 pounds. Occasionally that requirement may be higher.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet and, at all times, is within safe OSHA decibel constraints.
Salary range: $100,000 - $110,000
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Portland Business Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.