WE'RE HIRING: Director, Government Affairs
The Portland Business Alliance is now seeking qualified candidates for a new position, Director, Government Affairs.
The Portland Business Alliance (“Alliance”) serves as greater Portland’s Chamber of Commerce. Our mission is to create opportunity and advance well-being for all who live and work in the greater Portland and SW Washington region. Our vision is a healthy and resilient business ecosystem. We support access, opportunity, and advancement for all people. We recognize unfair bias and historic discrimination, and work to eliminate barriers. We embrace connectivity and work together respectfully to drive solutions. We meet setbacks with openness to listening, learning and adaptation. We give the honest answer. We do what we say we will. We are accessible, active, and visible to the community.
SUMMARYUnder the guidance and direction of the Vice President of Government Affairs, as well as within the overall philosophy of the Alliance, the Government Affairs Director will identify, track and develop policy impacting the Alliance and advocate policy positions through written, spoken and personal contacts that support the Alliance mission.
- Manage subject matter of task forces, coalitions, committees and subcommittees, as assigned, supporting volunteer chair and member.
- Schedule meetings, organize events, and manage committee work.
- Develop relationships with other lobbyists and Alliance members to strengthen advocacy and build coalitions.
- Research, analyze and manage public policy issues identified as important to Alliance membership.
- Write memos, testimony and talking points reflecting Alliance positions.
- Track policy trends and identify emerging issues that may be of interest to Alliance members on a local, regional and statewide level.
- Work with Alliance membership, staff and contract lobbyists to develop formal Alliance policy positions.
- Represent Alliance on various external committee meetings at the city, county and regional levels.
- Interface with government staff on public policy issues and projects that are of interest to Alliance membership.
- Respond to member inquiries.
- Help organize annual lobbying trip to Washington, D.C.
- Assist communications team as needed with advocacy-related publications.
- Assist with management of Public Service Training Program.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational, time-management and planning skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, communications or related topic, or equivalent experience.
- Two years’ experience in policy development & analysis, government affairs, or work in related political fields
- An organized self-starter with the ability to multi-task on a wide variety of issues and projects.
- A keen interest in issues affecting the business community of Portland and the metropolitan area is essential.
WORKING CONDITIONSThe physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- The employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 20 pounds. Occasionally that requirement may be higher.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet and, at all times, is within safe OSHA decibel constraints.
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter and three professional references to [email protected].