Second Morrison Bridge closure starts October 9
The failing deck of the Morrison Bridge lift span will be replaced with a solid new deck in 2017. The work will require major traffic changes starting April 3 as the old deck is removed and the new one is installed.
- Preliminary work began in March 2017, with minimal impact on bridge users. The contractor added weights to the counterweights under the bridge deck, to balance the heavier weight of the new lift span deck.
- Four of the six traffic lanes will be closed from April 3 through October. One lane will be open in each direction. The westbound lane is only open for traffic exiting I-5 and I-84.
- Westbound traffic from the Central Eastside can use the ramp to access I-5 north, but will need to use a different bridge (such as the Burnside or Hawthorne) to reach downtown.
- Traffic is currently shifted to the north side of the bridge and the north sidewalk is open to pedestrians only. The south multi-use path is closed until October 23. Bicyclists and people who use a mobility device should use alternate bridges such as the Hawthorne and Burnside.
- The bridge will be closed for two weeks from October 9-22 to pour concrete and allow a cure for the west leaf deck.