Leadership Portland is a program for upper-level employees at Alliance member organizations. The nine-month class educates participants on a wide array of critical issues affecting the Portland region with a goal to develop community leaders prepared to get involved in solving those issues. Through the regular day programs and additional projects, class members gain an increased awareness of how business, government and community sectors work together to achieve common goals. The program provides a forum for quality discussion and interaction with a network of other government, business and community leaders.
Outside of the regular day program, each participant also completes an Impact Project. Working in small groups, class members fulfill an impactful and sustainable objective for a local non-profit. Here participants have the opportunity to develop advanced skills in team management, critical and creative thinking, and problem solving.
The time commitment is approximately one day per month for nine months with some additional time needed for the Impact Project, which takes about one hour per month or slightly more depending on the project.
The deadline to apply for the next Leadership Portland class is April 23, 2015.
- APPLY NOW -
Questions? Contact Leadership Portland Director Mari Watanabe
by email or call 503.552.6775.
View the list of current and past Leadership Portland participants.
The program runs from September to June. It begins with a two-day retreat, continues with one full program day each month October through May, and concludes with a graduation ceremony in June. In addition to attending the program days, class members will be required to complete a team-based community impact project.
The following requirements must be met to qualify for successful completion of the program. If you cannot commit to the schedule, please consider applying at a time when you can commit.
- Employer must be an Alliance member in good standing
- Employer must remain a member in good standing throughout the program
- Must be an upper level leader within their organization
- Attendance at all program days. One excused absence is allowed to meet graduation requirements
- Participation in a team community impact project
- Attendance at graduation
- Maximum of two participants from one member company
To apply for the Leadership Portland program, candidates must submit the following:
- Online application
- High resolution headshot
- Short biography
- Two letters of recommendation - one from employer and one from a community organization with which you are involved
- Tuition: $2,950
- Opening Retreat September 10-11 (two days, stay overnight)
- Program days will be held on the second Thursday of each month beginning in October and ending in May, concluding with team project presentations and graduation
- Law, Justice and Public Safety
- City/County Government
- Culture, Arts and the Creative Economy
- Land Use and Transportation
- State Government and Public Policy
- Business and Economic Development