The Portland Business Alliance issues Certificates of Origin (COO). Some foreign countries or importers require this for certain commodities. The purpose of the certificate is to authenticate a product’s country of origin. Customs offices use this document to determine whether or not a preferential duty rate applies on the products being imported.
The Alliance issues COO's for goods manufactured within the United States. Currently, COO’s are couriered or mailed to the Chamber of Commerce for certification – a costly, inefficient and time-consuming paper based process for members.
The Alliance is currently working with eCertify to streamline the process we currently have to make it a better experience for members. eCertify presents a complete solution to the challenges that members experience by turning the existing paper-based process for stamping and signing of trade documents into a streamlined electronic system – providing our members real value in cost savings and efficiency gains.
Member benefits with eCertify:
- Saves times and money – no more couriers
- Faster documentation certification turnaround times – no more missed deadlines
- User friendly online web solution
- Increased compliance and record keeping
- eCertify is the Industry Standard and is designed to cater for all submission types. It allows Exporters and Trade Service providers to electronically process their export documents irrespective of how they are created.
Stay tuned for more information about the switch to eCertify.
We are still currently taking in-person payment by cash or check. If you have any questions regarding the Certificate of Origin program, please contact Matthew Pinsker
, Administrative Assistant, at 503.552.6764.